Chocolate! Oh my … chocolate! Who can resist!! I was interviewing for a job several years ago. One of the questions they asked me was how I handled stress. After I answered the question, one of the ladies in the group interviewing me said, “The correct answer to that question is chocolate!” Sounded good to me! And actually, it is true. Chocolate promotes the production of endorphins in the brain, which is a mood enhancer, and it contains serotonin, which works as an antidepressant. A wonderfully flavorful stress reducer!
I love chocolate in nearly any form, but my favorite is dark chocolate. I read recently that dark chocolate is good for you in other ways, too! Sounds too good to be true, but they say that dark chocolate relaxes the arteries, which lowers blood pressure. I don’t have high blood pressure, so I can’t use that excuse to eat it. But they also say that, believe it or not, dark chocolate can help lower bad cholesterol! Of course, that doesn’t give us carte blanche to eat all we want, but like all good things, moderation is the best policy. — Beverly K
Following are two sauce recipes from Karen Jean Matsko Hood’s Chocolate Delights Cookbook, Vol. I, A Collection of Chocolate Recipes. Karen invites you to try them out and share your comments here on her Cooking with Karen Blog! She also invites you to share your favorite recipes.
Espresso Hot Fudge Sauce
If you like espresso and chocolate, you will enjoy this wonderful sauce.
⅓ c. freshly brewed strong coffee
⅓ c. brown sugar
½ c. Dutch process cocoa
1 pinch salt
2 Tbs. butter, cut in small pieces
3 Tbs. heavy cream
1 tsp. instant espresso powder
- In small saucepan, over medium heat, combine coffee and brown sugar.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until sugar is melted.
- Add cocoa and salt; whisk until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low; whisk in butter and cream.
- Whisk in instant espresso; stir until dissolved.
- Serve over ice cream.
- Note: This sauce may be refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
- Reheat in heavy pan over low heat, stirring frequently.
Yields: ¾ cup.
Caramel Fudge Sauce
This recipe will leave you grinning. I love caramel with chocolate, and this is no exception.
½ c. brown sugar, packed
1½ c. sugar
¾ c. cocoa
¼ c. flour
½ tsp. salt
1 can evaporated milk (14 oz.)
1 c. water
2 Tbs. butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt; add milk, water, and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling.
- Cook 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Stir in vanilla.